Dunfallandy House history - and the Fergusson Clan

Visit and learn about the Dunfallandy Stone

This extract is taken from the poem in ‘”Records of the Clan and name of Fergusson or Ferguson” (1895) otherwise known to Clan Ferguson members as ‘The Blue Book’ as are the following references

“the Vale of Atholl down by the Tummel was the kernel of Fergusson Country.........."

"The chief seat of the Fergussons as a highland clan are undoubtedly in Athole, where they are placed in the map of the clans and where was the residence of their recognised chief when the roll of the clans (1587) was made up............The chiefship was in the ancient family of Dunfallandy for long designed as ‘of Derculitch’ whose heads appears as ‘Baron Fergusson’ and as the Land of Ferguson in state documents.”

The original settlement of the Fergussons of Atholl is lost in the mists of the past. The family is, however, an ancient, ancestral and landed Highland one whose Scottish roots certainly go back to the 13th century and without doubt, long, long before that date.

A certain Adam Fergusson (Adie na Cannaibaig) was seemingly a person of some esteem as Records do show he had Charters of Cluny and Kinnaird in Perthshire from King John Balliol (13th century) and King Robert the Bruce (14th century)

The Fergussons of Dunfallandy are a family touchéd by traditions, and legends, by the rebellious history oif Scotland, by poverty and fortunes and not by emotions, love and romance. Lieutenant-General Archibald Fergusson ‘the General’ (1755 -1834) Baron Fergusson and Chief of his clan, who seems to have epitomised all these aspects, was probably the family’s most colourful character. The general spent 37 years in India excelling himself on military campaigns in the service of the East India Company. Seven of his eight children came to Dunfallandy, and he returned in 1815.

Upon the death of the general’s grand-daughter, Miss Margaret Fergusson of Dunfallandy, in 1900 the title of ‘Chief’ and the Estate passed to the descendants of his niece, Elizabeth Stewart of Dalnacardoch. This was according to the General’s deed of Entail executed in 1831.

Dunfallandy, which has been said to mean ‘Hill or Fort of Fallandy’ (the fort by the place of blood) lies above the Logierait Road, close to Pitlochry in Scotland. The present ‘Dunfallandy House’ was built in 1816 for the general – as Chiaf of Clan Mhic Fergus of Atholl – he lived there until his death in 1834.

 

The famous Pictish decorated ‘Dunfallandy Stone’ (in te care of Historic Scotland) is still to be found near the Fergusson of Dunfallandy family graveyard – upon the site of the 12th Century Chapel of Dun-fola-lyn (no longer visible). Behind Dunfallandy House rises Dunfallandy hill amidst the beautiful Perthshire countryside evoking the charm of this historical area.

 

For further information, visit the Clan Fergusson Society website http://www.clanfergusonsociety.co.uk    

Or the Moulin Kirk website – go to http://moulinkirk.co.uk

Article 1

Exclusive use lets available

celebrate a birthday, anniversary, family reunion, Christmas/New Year or indeed any special occasion or corporate event

More
Article 2

Learn about Clan Fergusson and the Dunfallandy Stone

Dunfallandy House was the former seat of the Chief of Clan Fergusson. Visit the famous Dunfallandy Stone

More
Visit the Embrace Scotland website

Route Planner:

Self catering

Pitlochry Theatre presents th2017 Winter Words Festival

Pitlochry Theatre presents th2017 Winter Words Festival

This summer, you can choose from: Hello Dolly!, A Chorus Of Disapproval, Present Laughter, Single Spies, Lady Windermere's Fan.